Application and Selection Process
Places in the Leadership Great South Coast Program are limited. To ensure high quality participants from diverse backgrounds the selection process is robust and transparent.
Stage 1 – Online Application
Stage 2 – Shortlisting
Stage 3 – Interview Process
Stage 4 – Offers made
Note participants will be chosen on merit and their overall fit with the group.
Selection criteria include:
- Proven leadership record or aspirations with potential for further growth
- Potential to contribute significantly to the Great South Coast community
- Potential to progress to senior positions in industry, business, community organisations, academia or government
- Ability to commit the required time and energy to the program and to engage as an active learner
Leadership Great South Coast operates on the generosity of our Program partners and government.
With the exception of scholarship recipients, we ask each participant to pay a fee of $3300 + GST payable upon acceptance into the program. Fees may be paid by the individual or their employer prior to program commencement.
In return, program participants undertake a unique learning journey valued in excess of $8000.
Leadership Great South Coast offers a number of scholarships annually.
- South West Community Foundation – 1 x 3000 (General)
- Gardiner Foundation – 2 x $3000 (Dairy Industry specific)
- The Hugh Williamson Foundation – 1 x $3000 (General)
- Committee for Portland – 1 x 3000 (available to Committee for Portland members/staff)
- Denis Tricks AM – 1 x $3000 (State wide application process for a young leader)
- Wannon Water – 1 x $3000 (Diversity)
Please note your intention to apply for a scholarship in your online application form. Each scholarship application is assessed on a case by case basis against scholarship criteria.
*Notes – Selection criteria applies. Participant $ contribution is required prior to Program start (February annually).
Fees should not restrict appropriate candidates from applying. If funding is an issue for you or your organisation please advise at the time of application.
Executive Officer Amanda Hennessy is available to discuss your application and support you through the process. Please do not hesitate to call if you need any further information.
How To Apply
July/August – Scholarships announced – for scholarship criteria detail call Executive Officer, Amanda Hennessy 0408627066
22 July – Online Applications Open
First Round – Applications should be submitted online by COB 25 September
Scholarship applicants are strongly advised to submit applications in the First Round
Second Round – Applications should be submitted online by COB 11 October
*Applicants will be short listed by the selection panel made up from members of the LGSC Committee. Interviews will take place in November. Up to 20 applicants will be offered a place in the program.
Any applicant who is unsuccessful in an application process should not be deterred from applying again in the future.
Application Form – Remains Open for Diversity Scholarships
CLICK HERE to complete your Online Application – please read advice for applicants carefully
Instructions – before you start
Download and save the LGSC Employer Statement Template prior to completing your application
Download and save the LGSC Employment Education Statement-Template prior to completing your application
The online application requires both templates to be uploaded as part of your application. Note you wont be able to progress to submit until you upload the completed forms x 2.
Please feel free to add a note re financial contribution responsibilities if they are a mix of employer and applicant or the applicants full responsibility.
Download LGSC 2019 Program Days
Note – Please contact LGSC on 0408627066 if you require a word version of the application form
Program Breakdown – Click here for our Program Booklet
- Opening Retreat Feb (Friday/Saturday residential) – compulsory
- Average of 2 Program Days per month (which may include field trips) commencing at approximately 8.30am and concluding approx. 5.00pm (100% attendance target with a min 80% attendance required to graduate). Light lunch included.
- Program Day preparation and follow up is required including Program Day surveys and reflections
- Mid Program Retreat July (Friday/Saturday) – compulsory
- Council meeting tour (outside scheduled Program Days as noted on annual schedule)
- Field Trip to Victorian Parliament / Combined State Wide Program Day
- Commencement of a project completed in personal time as agreed by the project team (within the Program timelines)
- Buddy and syndicate group structure (requirement)
- Formal mentoring opportunity available to all participants (optional)
- Closing Retreat Nov (Friday/Saturday residential) – compulsory
Program Days are themed to cover relevant topics and issues for the Great South Coast (from Health Promotion and Prevention to Education, the Economy, Climate Adaptation and Nature Based Tourism). These topics are aligned to the Great South Coast Strategic Plan. Local and state leaders and content experts address the participants on the topics. See the Speakers and Latest News page for more information.
The Program also has imbedded topics including; leadership skills and knowledge, ethical leadership, social intelligence, governance, change management, project management coaching, workforce development, cultural awareness and working with government and lobbying.
Prior to the Opening Retreat our facilitator, Corrinne Armour, profiles each participant and provides a personalised report on strengths and challenges. The personalised report is used as a reference throughout the Program and is reviewed at the Final Retreat.